Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Beautiful ovens and busy husbands

For the past 2 years Kenneth and I have been suffering the effects of a crappy oven. It never has more than 1 or 2 burners working at a time. And those burners rotate - so when its time to cook something it's like the lottery trying to guess which ones will work for that night. And, it seems not to matter how much time I spend cleaning it - it will catch on fire with even the slightest crumb or drip. It has been pretty exciting. 

Well, 2 nights ago we had a new phenomenon. The broiler at the top of the oven caught on fire. I really thought our apartment was going down. Luckily we were able to get things under control. But for me that was the last straw. It doesn't matter how  much baking soda I keep next to the oven - I can't smother a fire on the inside top. So, I called our management company to demand they fix the problem [translation: I called and quietly requested that they send a repairman].  

This is the cause for our celebration. The repairman came and was totally shocked at the state of our oven. He only had to look at in briefly before deciding that we needed a whole new unit! Which he ordered and had delivered the very next day. Hooray!!! 
I just can't stop looking at it. It is the most beautiful oven ever made :) Well, ok, it is a very regular looking white oven. But all the burners work and it cooks food at the correct temperature. Here are some pictures:





Unfortunately this week has not been as exciting for Kenneth. He is not only preparing to deliver a paper in New York for a symposium at the Institute of Fine Arts next Friday. But he is also completing requirements for his Masters degree as well as preparing 2 class presentations and 2 25 page papers. He is so STRESSED! 

Ever since we met I have been able to tell when Kenneth was getting stressed by how messy his hair is. I think everyone has something they do when they get anxious - biting fingernails, tapping their leg, etc.. Kenneth runs his hands through and pulls up his hair. It might be the cutest thing I have ever seen. I always feel bad, because I know when he does it he is getting to the end of his rope.. But I can't help but smile. :)

So, here is a tribute to my very cute and very busy husband:
 



I know, he really is the cutest boy ever :) Good luck sweetie!!! I know you'll do great!

8 comments:

Nadia said...

I love you guys. YAY for your new oven!!! And Kenneth! I feel your pain. Only I have a 10 page paper and it might as well be a 100 page paper with my poor writing skills.

He can do it!! And how exciting....NYC...huh? That will be great.

Melanie said...

we should hold a housewarming party for your oven. we could all bring bakeable goods, and celebrate with you. how exciting! and good luck to kenneth, poor guy. i love his pics, though!

Mer said...

Congrats on your oven! A working appliance is a beautiful site!

Robyn said...

Kenneth, you'll make it, you are a wonderful student and writer. Emily, maybe you could make like 20 batches of cookies to help Kenneth allong and revel in you new oven!

Bennett family said...

Oh, we had stove problems as well in RI! You brought back memories. We had 2 big burners and it was lottery as to which one was going to work. Drove me crazy! I guess that's what you get when you buy a $25 stove/oven. Good memories!

Denice said...

Awesome! There is nothing like a new appliance that YOU didn't have to buy (or beg for!) I love it when management companies do their job! Last night we watched "Fever Pitch" so I think that I am officially ready to come to Boston! Let's hope Kenneth's hair is feeling better by then. . .

Katt said...

Yeah, I remember that piece-of-crap-fire-hazard oven. I'm so glad you got a new one!!

Kenny-boy, hang in there... and stop pulling out your hair!!

Michal Thompson said...

Simples pleasures I tell you. A working stove can make your year!!