Saturday, February 21, 2009

Salt Cookies!

I am totally sick. OK, it's just a cold. But to me it seems like a really terrible cold that might never go away  (I can be a little dramatic when I don't feel well). I think I caught it from the family I work for, who have all been sick in the past couple of weeks. I had this brilliant plan that after Kenneth and I watched Conan O'Brian's last show last night, I would take Nyquil and sleep so well that I would be completely healed by morning. Apparently my cold did not agree because I woke up more sick than I was before. Kenneth and I have been hanging out all day eating soup and popsicles, watching the Muppet Movie and resting so that this blasted cold will go away.
By about 4:00 we were both a little stir crazy. So, I decided to make snickerdoodles. Now, don't let the title of this blog post fool you. They were actually pretty good. (Not as good as Megs, but we all can't be super fantastic cookie makers). All I could think about while I was mixing the dough was the the first time I made snickerdoodles... 
I was 12 and spending some quality time during summer vacation with my awesome aunt and uncle in Pocatello, ID. My aunt Lanae had to put her kids down for naps and I had some free time so she told me I could make cookies (something I had never done before). She gave me the recipe and showed me where the ingredients were and left me alone in the kitchen.
The result was just a tiny mix up between the sugar and salt.... 
In case you were wondering 2 cups of salt and 1 tsp of sugar does not turn out as well as you might think. And even now, 15 years later, David and Lanae still make jokes about my delicious salt cookies. 

And, for those of you who are frequenters of our blog (or who just happened to read my last post) here is an update on my most recent project:

I still have about 1 1/2 rows left + borders. But I had to take a break from this project to make a baby quilt for a friend of mine who is due in March.

What do you think?

7 comments:

ty and megs said...

the houses are amazing! and i'm lovin the quilt. i'll make the fab cookies and you make the fab quilts. sound like a plan? :)

i'll use the secret to make you better. you will be fine by morning.

Robyn said...

I love how you can just toos out quilts like nobody's business. And I'm jelouse (sp?) of your snickerdoodles. I love snickerdoodles! I wanted to make some on Firday night, but I didn't have an ingredient. So sad.
Feel better! I find that if Nyquil doesn't do the trick, about a gram of crack will work.

Kenneth and Emily said...

Wow, thanks Megs and Robyn... I will look for secret healing and crack - I'll be back on my feet in no time!

Jeanette said...

shut the f up!

Denice said...

I love both of the quilts! The colors are great -- and I love the little houses! So cute!! Sorry you are sick . . . I think we've had that cold here too. Each of the kids got it twice -- it was horrible!

Linds said...

amazing work on the quilt! I love the colors of the house one... hope you get over your cold quickly! I just picked one up too and so did my baby... yesterday. bla.

ginger said...

I love snickerdoodles! I think I have to make some tomorrow... And your quilts! Love them!

This was a pretty "love" infused comment, but hey, it's February, why not.